HILL Online Director & Fractional CTO
Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm EST
Are you a versatile, jack-of-all-trades tech leader tired of having to tweak your resume to match job descriptions that may sort of fit but are missing a lot of pieces? We may have a role for you!
HILL for Literacy is committed to improving K-12 literacy education in New England and beyond. We have spent more than 20 years training educators to better teach young students how to read. We have built HILL Online, a SaaS platform for literacy coaches and teachers to help train teachers, establish literacy plans, analyze assessment scores, and track student progress.
HILL is now looking for a technology manager to oversee all aspects of IT and software development in our company. This is not a development position but requires development skills in areas such as ETL, reporting/analytics, scripting, spreadsheets, and APIs. This is not an IT Manager position but requires hands-on IT management skills such as laptop/OS troubleshooting, MS office support, and SharePoint administration.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage the agile development process for a geographically dispersed, high-functioning team of 8, including product owner, 4 developers, a BA, designer, and QA lead. This includes leading scrum ceremonies (standups, backlog grooming, retrospectives, and planning).
- Oversee outsourced MSP which supports technical infrastructure of HILL for Literacy. HILL operates as a virtual company using a variety of SaaS platforms for daily business operations. Physical infrastructure consists of company laptops and an AWS environment hosting HILL Online. Work with MSP to administer corporate SaaS applications, including M365/SharePoint, Jira, Slack, Zoom, Survey Monkey, and others. This includes provisioning, licensing, and account management.
- Directly manage or oversee management of AWS infrastructure (primarily EC2/RDS).
- Collaborate with the Director of HILL Online and Fractional CTO to further mature technology strategy within the organization.
- Assist in implementing security, data privacy, and compliance initiatives.
- Work with Fractional CTO and development team lead to define future logical and physical architecture for HILL Online platform, including helping to assess third-party software and make buy/build decisions.
- Help troubleshoot integration issues between various third-party SaaS products and HILL Online.
- Support the support team in technical administration of the HILL Online platform, including Absorb Learning Management System. This includes working directly with internal users and customers (generally IT counterparts at school districts) to troubleshoot issues such as email delivery, connectivity, system access, and data interchange.
Education and Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in CS/IS/CIS or equivalent experience.
- Nonprofit and/or education experience.
- 3+ years of experience in software development.
- 5+ years of management experience.
- 5+ years of cat-herding experience.
- Experience managing software development in an agile environment.
- Experience in IT infrastructure management (desktops, laptops, servers, printers, networks, etc.)
- M365 administration, including SharePoint.
- Jira/Confluence administration preferred.
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure services (AWS strongly preferred).
- CMS admin experience would be helpful, especially WordPress.
- Familiarity with networking is a plus but hands-on networking experience is not a requirement.
Technical: Wide range of technical skills (see above) and proven ability to quickly figure out what you don’t know and haven’t seen before.
Management/Coordination: Ability to deal effectively with people who possess both mildly aggressive and somewhat passive personality types (without being aggressive, passive, or passive-aggressive yourself). Track record making order out of chaos.
Administration: Self-starter with strong IT project management and organizational skills. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Excellent time management skills.
Communication: Excellent writing skills and ability to succinctly communicate technical information to a non-technical audience. We have some very technical people in our organization and among our customers, but most of us are, let’s just say, not. You need to be the glue between these groups.
Other: Ability to work from home with a reliable internet connection and be available during regular East Coast business hours (9am-5pm EST). Although this is not an “on-call” position, emergencies do happen, and some flexibility and availability outside business hours is required. And you have to be really nice 🙂
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.