- This event has passed.
Virtual Science of Reading Series
July 13 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm$325
NEW Virtual Training! We’re now offering the Science of Reading Professional Learning Series which teaches critical components of literacy instruction for Grades K-2. Each module integrates current research and translates it into classroom application.
The series consists of ten 2-hour facilitated, synchronous modules held via Zoom and continued learning through asynchronous materials and follow up activities via Google Classroom. These modules address questions such as:
- What happens in the brain when we read? How can this understanding inform our instruction?
- How is reading related to oral language?
- What are high-leverage instructional routines that support reading acquisition?
- What role does automaticity play in becoming a proficient reader?
- What cognitive processes are involved in deeply understanding text?
- How do we know we are using the right assessments to determine student need?
- . . . and much more!
We’re also now offering the option of 3 graduate credits for an added fee. This will require the completion of additional assignments and a final project.
Dates & Topics
Please note: Registration is for the entire series. Each training session will be recorded and posted in the Google classroom in case of any absences or need for a refresher.
The Brain and Reading
Tuesday, 7/13/2021, 1:00pm-3:00pm EST
Oral Language and Literacy
Thursday, 7/15/2021, 1:00pm-3:00pm EST
Features of Effective Instruction: What, Why, How
Tuesday, 7/20/2021, 1:00pm-3:00pm EST
The Power of Phonological Awareness
Thursday, 7/22/2021, 1:00pm-3:00pm EST
Word Blending: A Hierarchy of Skills
Tuesday, 7/27/2021, 1:00pm-3:00pm EST
The Role of Automaticity
Thursday, 7/29/2021, 1:00pm-3:00pm EST
Text Reading: What (with Whom), When and How
Tuesday, 8/3/2021, 1:00pm-3:00pm EST
Thursday, 8/5/2021, 1:00pm-3:00pm EST
Tuesday, 8/10/2021, 1:00pm-3:00pm EST
Pulling it All Together
Thursday, 8/12/2021, 1:00pm-3:00pm EST